“I don’t know what to say and how to say it”, is a popular self-myth among consultants who want to have consistent communication with their audience online.
The problem is NOT ‘knowing’ what to say, it’s simply being CLEAR with your message.
There’s a distinction here.
Clients come to me often and have disparate ‘knowings’ of what to say whirling around their minds, but need help putting it together into a coherent message + plan that will resonate with the right people (this is my zone of genius).
Much like decluttering, getting to the heart of the message for your ideal client requires strategic removal of the unimportant bits of info spiraling around your mind.
When you’re unclear, it feels like you have a ton of micro-decisions to make about what to say, how to say it and what other people might think about it.
When asked the right questions, my clients are able to put the right pieces of the ‘message’ puzzle together, in a way that clarifies what they do, even to a 5-year-old.
I see a lot of content marketing programs diving straight into “content calendars” and content creation, and here’s the problem with that: If you aren’t clear about your message, what kind of content will you put out there?
When I work with clients during VIP DAYS, nothing creates more excitement and RELIEF than message clarity, because they suddenly feel like they KNOW what to say.
This excitement will put you one step closer towards consistency. You’ll know what you want to say and your voice (the unique way in which YOU articulate your message – the ‘how you say it’) will be concise and demonstrate an energy of confidence (even through the screen).
How do you clarify your messaging?
There are many moving parts to clear messaging, but I’m going to focus on 2 important pieces today:
- Speaking to your ideal customer
- Speaking about your unique way of getting your customers the results they want
Knowing these gives them the motivation to start putting more and more content out there, until they find their groove of where they get the most engagement and the platform they like using most.
Using my messaging process, my clients have started podcasts, weekly Facebook live shows, IG story series, weekly newsletters and Youtube channels. No matter the platform or the type of content, they’ve been able to publish at least two high-quality pieces of content per month, resulting in getting hired for 2 new projects per quarter.
And voila – consistency!
(BTW, until you’re consistent, you won’t really know what platforms, what messaging resonates with your clients – more on that in another email)
Here’s what you can do to get clear on your messaging – and this is exactly what I work on with my clients in my 1:1 program:
- Who are your clients? What do they want more than anything?
- What’s the situation that would have potential clients pick up the phone and call you right now? (get really specific here)
- What do they THINK / BELIEVE they need to do in order to get the results they want?
- What is the thing YOU KNOW they need in order to get the results they want?
- What is the ‘thing’ that will signal they’re ready to buy your service (are they frustrated with something, have they tried alot of different things that don’t work, has something specific occurred, what have they already done to solve their problem?)?
- How does your service tie into the results they want to have? Seems like an obvious thing, but when you write it down, you’ll be a lot more clear with how to articulate it
- What are the deliverables + results they’ll have in hand after you work together? I often review clients I’ve worked with every quarter and write out the results they have AFTER working together – these can be tangibles like – a new podcast, new clients, new website copy, a new workshop – OR intangibles like more confidence to speak up, more clarity on their unique services
- How is your service / product different from what’s already offered out there (Hint: this has alot to do with mapping out your process, which I’ll discuss in the next email).
- How will you qualify them as a good fit? What kinds of resources do they need to have in place for you to help them AND get the results they want? – ->> don’t skip out on this one, it’s critical.
**Get a pen & paper and write this out. Then, write a post / email using this framework:
Most people believe ________________[what your clients think they’re missing], but the truth is __________________[what you know is missing].
When you are _____________________[doing the thing they believe will get them results], you are missing out on a critical piece that will help you ________________[the results they want].
Most of my clients come to me when __________________ [the situation that happens right before they call you], so I know this is common.
When most other ____________[people in your industry]___________________[how they tackle the problem], I ___________________ [what you do first, AKA, your unique process] first thing before anything else, because after working with __________________ [number / type of client you’ve worked with], I’ve learned this is the quicker path to _____________________ [the results they want].
I help ____________ who are _______________ [their specific situation(s)], who have already ___________,____________ and ___________ [resources they have in place] and have done ___________,_________,__________[what they’ve already done that hasn’t worked], but want to have ___________________ and __________________[results they want instead]. Using my unique process, they end up with _______________ [deliverables / results] after working with me for________________ [timeframe].
If you are already _____________, _____________, _____________ [resources they already have], but want to have ____________ and ____________ then [DM me / reply to this email], because _______________[your offer] will help you with this.
We will chat briefly, I’ll ask you a few simple questions to see if this is a good fit for you.
The above framework includes all the messaging pieces mentioned above, and obviously won’t work exactly this way for EVERY business, but you can tweak it to match yours! This framework will create at least 1 response, assuming you know your audience.
Messaging is one of the things I address with my clients in my 6 Week 1:1 program that takes consultants who are already enrolling clients from referrals but want to create an organic marketing system to enroll clients from social media and Google. This is about 70% of what we work on. We also work on clarifying your offer + pricing, how to spend less time creating content, how to qualify clients and tracking results. This method will help you get at 2 pieces of high quality content out there consistently per month, to start, without overthinking or doubting what you have to say. This will result in getting hired more consistently.
Comment down below if you’re interested in this program and we will chat to see if you’re a good fit; if so, we can get you started as early as the first week of October.